"If there is anything distinctive about The Message, perhaps it is because the text is shaped by the hand of a working pastor. For most of my adult life I have been given a primary responsibility for getting the message of the Bible into the lives of the men and women with whom I worked. I did it from the pulpit and lectern, in home Bible studies and at mountain retreats, through conversations in hospitals and nursing homes, over coffee in kitchens, and while strolling on an ocean beach. The Message grew from the soil of forty years of pastoral work."
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, writer, and poet. After teaching at a seminary and then giving nearly thirty years to church ministry in the Baltimore area, he created The Message—a vibrant Bible paraphrase that connects with today's readers like no other.
It took Peterson a full ten years to complete. He worked from the original Greek and Hebrew texts to guarantee authenticity. At the same time, his ear was always tuned to the cadence and energy of contemporary English.
Eugene and his wife, Jan, now live in his native Montana. They are the parents of three and the grandparents of six.
Peterson's work has been thoroughly reviewed by a team of recognized Old and New Testament scholars to ensure that it is accurate and faithful to the original languages.
OLD TESTAMENT TEAM
- Robert L. Hubbard, Jr., North Park Theological Seminary (chair)
- Richard E. Averbeck, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- Bryan E. Beyer, Columbia International University
- Lamar E. Cooper, Sr., Criswell College
- Peter E. Enns, Eastern University
- Duane A. Garrett, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Donald R. Glenn, Dallas Theological Seminary
- Paul R. House, Beeson Divinity School, Samford University
- V. Philips Long, Regent College
- Tremper Longman III, Westmont College
- John N. Oswalt, Asbury Theological Seminary
- Richard L. Pratt, Jr., Reformed Theological Seminary
- John H. Walton, Wheaton College
- Prescott H. Williams, Jr., Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
- Marvin R. Wilson, Gordon College
NEW TESTAMENT TEAM
- William W. Klein, Denver Seminary (chair)
- Darrell L. Bock, Dallas Theological Seminary
- Donald A. Hagner, Fuller Theological Seminary
- Moises Silva, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- Rodney A. Whitacre, Trinity School of Ministry